How do I double check the dataset of a table?

SOLVED
Highlighted
Enthusiast

How do I double check the dataset of a table?

In one of my tables, a column seems to have lost all its data. I found this by looking at the column through samples view, where every cell read "*null*". To fix this, I want to re-import the table, but I'm not sure which dataset it is. I looked on the settings page and on the import job page of the web app. Is there is a command that can do this in the interana CLI? 

If I can just re-import the column in question, that would be fine too.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Inquirer

Re: How do I double check the dataset of a table?

Hi Meredith, 

We sometimes tend to use the terms "table" and "dataset" interchangeably, but actually a table in Interana can contain data from as many data sources as you want. For example, if I have a dataset containing client-side events and another dataset containing server-side events from the same application, I can import both datasets into the same table in Interana. But because you can import data from any arbitrary number of different sources into the same table, it can sometimes be tricky to trace a particular column back to its source once it's already been imported. 

Since you will be re-importing the table anyway, I recommend using the import wizard to check out the columns in each dataset as you queue them for import. You will be able to preview the column name, the detected datatype, and some sample values. If something looks wrong to you, you can change the column datatype before starting import. 

I hope that helps!

1 REPLY
Inquirer

Re: How do I double check the dataset of a table?

Hi Meredith, 

We sometimes tend to use the terms "table" and "dataset" interchangeably, but actually a table in Interana can contain data from as many data sources as you want. For example, if I have a dataset containing client-side events and another dataset containing server-side events from the same application, I can import both datasets into the same table in Interana. But because you can import data from any arbitrary number of different sources into the same table, it can sometimes be tricky to trace a particular column back to its source once it's already been imported. 

Since you will be re-importing the table anyway, I recommend using the import wizard to check out the columns in each dataset as you queue them for import. You will be able to preview the column name, the detected datatype, and some sample values. If something looks wrong to you, you can change the column datatype before starting import. 

I hope that helps!